VIENNA

rainworld_archive.html
backcollections.htmlshapeimage_4_link_0
 

Unidentified photographer, 1890s,

fountain ”Die Macht zur See“ at Michaelaplatz, Vienna

Albumen print, 26.7 x 20.2 cm


The fountain—one of two on Michaelaplatz—was designed by Rudolf Weyr and completed in 1895. It should illustrate Austria‘s power on the sea.



  1. R.Lechner(Wilh. Müller) k.u.k. Hofbuchhandlung Wien, Wien.

Photo album with albumen prints by August Stauda.



Unidentified photographer, 1890s,

Stock im Eisenplatz, Vienna

Albumen print, 9.6 x 5.7 cm


The ”Stock im Eisen” is the midsection of a 2.19 m tall tree-trunk from the Middle Ages, into which hundreds of nails have been pounded for good luck over centuries. It  is now behind glass.

Verlag von Ludwig Niernberger (ed.), around 1873, Augartenbrücke, Vienna

Albumen print on cabinet card

The bridge was opened to the public in 1873 during the Vienna Universal Exhibition. Its four columns carry allegoric bronze figures symbolizing painting, poetry, industry, and astronomy.

Franz Holluber, around 1910, Kärntner Ring. Vienna

Glass plate positive, 12 x 9 cm

Left: Unidentified photographer, 1890s,

Partie im Prater, Fürst‘s Singspiel-Halle, Vienna

Albumen print, 9.2 x 5.7 cm

Johann Fürst‘s music hall ”Singspielhalle“ was one of the largest in Prater dating back to 1861.

Martin Gerlach, around 1940, Tiefer Graben. Vienna

Gelatin silver print, 22.8 x 16.7 cm

Unidentified photographer, 1870s,

Wien, Elisabethbrücke, Vienna

Albumen print stereoview


The Elisabeth Bridge was a bridge over the river Wien and connected the two districts of Vienna Inner City and Wieden. It was named after Empress Elisabeth. In 1867 eight marble statues were erected on the bridge, which were created on the initiative of the ‘Verein zur Förderung der bildenden Künste’. The bridge was removed in 1987.

Anonymous, around 1910, Am Wiener Naschmarkt Vienna

Glass plate positive.